Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Finally, I'm Sharing Our Kitchen and Missing Our Old Kitchen

Hi friends,
I hope you are well. Thanks for joining me today. I guess I am sharing with you this week the rooms in my home that are not my favorite rooms. After all, we moved in our new house in North Carolina almost a year ago and I think I've just about shared each and every room. I could still share my husband's office and our laundry room but there are not too exciting at this point. So, this week I shared the Bonus Room with you. And now our kitchen. We haven't done a thing to our kitchen because it's a perfectly fine kitchen.

Now, I recognize how lovely it is to have a relatively large kitchen with working appliances, running water, dishwasher, etc. and I definitely keep that in prospective.

But.......this is not my dream kitchen. We had recently renovated our kitchen back in our old house in Virginia before putting our house on the market. We had selected each and every finish and material ourselves so that kitchen which I'll share with you later in this blog below is more like my dream kitchen and a reflection of my style.

However, having written all of that, I am starting to get used to and warm up to the finishes/materials which were chosen for our kitchen (though again they are not the choices I would have made). But, we're trying to go with it and embrace the warm Tuscan kind of mood that our kitchen has to offer.

Here's our perfectly fine kitchen which I am trying to embrace because it would be absolutely insane to change anything about it even if it isn't my style. When I think of our kitchen I think of one word: Brown. Brown, brown, and more brown. I guess that really sums it up for me why I don't particularly like our kitchen. Brown is not my favorite color or even my second or third favorite color. Our kitchen lacks contrast. It's a safe kitchen. It doesn't take any risks in it's decorating. I guess I like risky kitchens that are interesting.












We still want to add some cool pendant lights (maybe 2 or 3) over our bar area. The kids eat at the bar area for every meal (it's an easy area to clean up/ wipe down/ sweep) from those messy rascals.




What I do like about our kitchen:

-the archway into my home office
-how it opens up to our family room and eat-in kitchen
-the bar area
-the recessed lights in the ceiling
-the under cabinet lighting
-stainless steel cabinets

Here is the kitchen from our old house in Virginia that we completely redid:













What I LOVED about our old kitchen:

-the stainless steel sink and drawer pulls (versus the bronze we have now)
-the different shades of blue glass tiles on the backsplash
-the white beadboard on the backsplash
-the cool recycled blue linen floor tiles
-the two glass front cabinets which were lighted to show off pretty things
-the cool stainless steel light over the sink
-the warm bamboo shade on the window
-the variety of lighting options all on dimmers
-the black granite countertop
-the white cabinets

Oh, I miss you little sweet kitchen!

However, I did not love how small it was and that it didn't have a bar area or an island.

Here are some dream kitchens that reflect more of my style:










While I am in the dreaming mood, my ideal kitchen would have two materials/colors of wood-one for the cabinets and one for a large island. I am in LOVE with glass tiles for the backsplash, especially rectangular ones. And it would have color, color, color. Probably white, black, some natural tones, and the perfect shades of blue and green. What about you? What does your dream kitchen look like?

Happy decorating and living,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment