Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Magnetic Chalkboard for Kids' Room

Hi friends,
How are you? How is June treating you? I've got one kid finishing up kindergarten (13 days left to go) and one kid having a great time at summer camp. It's been humid and raining here in North Carolina. I don't think we've been to the pool in about a week. That's crazy for us in the summer! Maybe tomorrow will be a pool day.

I am excited to share our son, Brayden's Magnetic Chalkboard, that we installed in his room recently. Warning: the trim isn't painted yet. But otherwise it's finished. I couldn't wait to share it with you. Here it is.

See what you think:












Brayden is checking out my magnet collection. I started collecting magnets from trips when I was a second grade teacher years ago. I put up a map in my classroom and shared my magnet collection with my students. My students and family members added to my magnet collection when they went on trips as well. I probably have over 100 magnets now from all over the world.









I am going to be honest with you, this magnetic chalkboard project was A LOT of work. It took a longgg time to get finished. My husband, Steve, did all of the work. Thanks honey! But I think it was worth it and will be used for years and years to come.

Steps:
1. Frame out rectangle for chalkboard with old wooden shelf we already had and wood trim.
2. Paint magnetic paint on wall 4X (letting each coat of paint dry in between coats).
3. Paint chalkboard paint on wall 4X (letting each coat of paint dry in between coats).
Still need to: Paint wood trim white.

I think we both agree that magentic chalkboard wall is going to stay put for a while, a long while.

Brayden has moved on to playing with dinosaurs now.




By the way, the blue and green paper lanterns in the corner of Brayden's room light up as nice soft night lights and were leftover from decorations from Steve and Bryce's May birthdays. I'll share with you where the other paper lanterns found a nice home someday soon.





We are still working on some other artwork projects for Brayden's room that I'll share with you later this summer.
I hope you have a super week. Thanks for joining me today.
Happy decorating & living,
Megan
meganlawbrewer@yahoo.com





No comments:

Post a Comment